Monday, February 18, 2008

Can Wake Break All-Time Sox Win Record?

Tim Wakefield will be 42 before the season ends this year.

He currently sits 38 games behind Roger Clemens (we'll leave the * off for this record because he likely didn't start juicing until after he left the Sox) and Cy Young for the all-time Red Sox wins record.

Wake has 154 wins for Boston. He spoke to the Associated Press about his hopes to break the record, ""I'd like to get to 200 wins and I'd like to maybe tie or break Cy Young or Roger Clemens' record for all-time Red Sox (wins) but I don't know of that's possible," Wakefield said.

"If I win 20 games the next two years, it's possible," he said with a laugh. "It's probably within reach if I can play for four more years."

If you look at Phil Neikro, who played until he was almost 50, it's possible.

I remember watching Charlie Hough, another ancient knukleballer (I think he was 45 at the time), pitch for the Marlins in Miami back in '93 He got them their second-ever win during that game. I don't think he pitched a ball faster than 65 mph.

I think Wake can do it.

0 comments:

Sawxheads

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP