Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Interview With RSN CA Governor Karen Doherty

Late last season the Red Sox announced the Governors of Red Sox Nation for all 50 States. Karen Doherty was selected as RSN Governor of California. Fenway West spoke with her this week:



FW: What made you become a Red Sox fan?

Gov. Doherty: The Nation made me want to become a Red Sox fan. I went to a Giants/Red Sox game in June of 2004. I noticed that about 40% of the people in attendance were Red Sox fans. A lot of them flew in from Boston. I started talking with them, joking, laughing, betting (dollar bills flying around) and I never had so much fun at a baseball game. I thought "who are these crazy people who fly around the country for a baseball game? I want to be a part of this." The fans were extremely knowledgeable, loyal, devoted. I started following the team, went to Fenway. We all know what happened in the playoffs and finally the World Series. I felt partially responsible for reversing the curse. I converted a Yankee fan that year.

FW: Who is your favorite player? Historic and current

Gov. Doherty: Ted Williams. Dave Roberts changed my life. Current: too difficult to choose just one. JD & JBay are so solid. I admire Youk's work ethic and the way he plays like every play is do or die. I love Papelbon. I'm starting to take Pedroia for granted. Jacoby? Come on!

FW: Have you had any contact with Jerry Remy?

Gov. Doherty: No contact with Remy. We are having a Governors Day 6/16 at Fenway so I hope to meet him then.

FW: What are your goals for RSN in California?

Gov. Doherty: Goals: Continually promote and support our team in a positive manner. Get the word out about RSN. My experience so far is not that many California fans are aware of RSN citizenship, Fenway West, Sawxheads and even redsox.com.

FW: Have you met any of the other governors?

Gov. Doherty: I was at spring training in March and met the Governor of Florida, Alexa Jimenez and the Governor of New Hampshire, Janice Paige.

FW: How can Red Sox fans get in touch with you?

Gov. Doherty:
cagov@ redsoxnation.com


14 comments:

Anonymous,  April 28, 2009 at 8:02 AM  

How in the world did this woman get selected as Governor. I am disgusted right now! She became a fan in 2004 and doesn't think California fans know about RSN or redsox.com, are you kidding. I wonder if she even made it out to Oakland, I know she isn't anywhere near sawxheads or she would have seen all the blogs regarding the HUGE tailgate party that we had in Oakland.

Anonymous,  April 28, 2009 at 8:04 AM  

She felt partially responsible for reversing the curse because she jumped on the bandwagon half way through the year, PATHETIC! You're not fooling anyone sweetheart!

Matt April 28, 2009 at 9:57 AM  

I think the Red Sox are trying to get new fans with the Red Sox Nation Governors program so it makes sense that they would select someone that converted to the Red Sox. This has caused some alienation of the program by long term fans like Caligrown. I don't think there is anything wrong with becoming a new fan of the Red Sox, I the Red Sox organization created some problems by not clearly outlining what the goal of the program is. I think this is evident by the fact that the President of RSN has not contacted her as Governor.

Anonymous,  April 28, 2009 at 10:14 AM  

yeah i tried to contact her numerous times on my tour of red sox nation . i meet lots of die hard sox fans in california she just wasn't one of them

Anonymous,  April 28, 2009 at 10:15 AM  

oh its me Rocky lol

David MySky April 28, 2009 at 11:37 AM  

I am quite surprised that a newbie was chosen as Gov of RSN-CA. OK, no matter as long as she's a true fan and can get done what is asked of RSN Gov's, but that hasn't happened. There are several conduits available to contact Red Sox fans in CA: Sawxheads, Fenway West, Meetup.com, the big Annual Sox @ Oakland tailgate party, and local Red Sox bars such as The CT Yankee in SF, but we haven't heard a skweek from her. Fenway West is linked on many other Sox blogs. If she had been unaware this blog but had been reading other blogs, one would think that a name like 'Fenway West' would have piqued her interest.

OK, Ms. Gov of RSN-CA, if you're reading this, what's next?

Anonymous,  April 28, 2009 at 3:13 PM  

Typical Pink Hat Bandwgon Fan Probably doesn't know A Sac fly from a double play.

Anonymous,  April 28, 2009 at 9:39 PM  

Pink hat or not, we were all brand new fans at one point. A little bit brazen though, to take responsibilty for reversing the curse. No, make that very brazen.

OK, Ms. Gov, your turn!

dave,  April 28, 2009 at 9:44 PM  

Well, Matt, she *is* cuter than you, maybe that's why she won? lol

BTW, who's the Lt. Gov?

Anonymous,  April 28, 2009 at 10:12 PM  

I think, perhaps her comment about "taking partial credit credit for reversing the curse" may have been meant to be a bit tongue and cheek...lighten up

dave,  April 29, 2009 at 10:50 AM  

Matt, When you interviewed her did you get the feeling that her curse comment was tongue-in-cheek?

Matt April 29, 2009 at 2:04 PM  

She was absolutely joking about the curse comment, I don't think she was trying to take any real credit for reversing the curse.

dave,  April 29, 2009 at 2:20 PM  

Maybe you should post that joking about the curse over on Sawxheads.

Sawxheads

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP