Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Glenn Geffen Is Out of Red Sox Booth

Glenn Geffner's tenure as Red Sox play by play announcer on WRKO lasted one year. (one year too much in my opinion). He has left the network to become the play by play guy for the Marlins where he will be heard by the 10 fans who listen to their games on the radio. Geffner added nothing to the broadcasts last year and was often painful to listen to. I often heard him described as an announcer who sounds like he his covering a high school JV game. For some good old Geffner bashing take a look at a few of these posts. Dave O'Brien may take over the play by play in '08.

4 comments:

jlavallee30 January 22, 2008 at 6:35 PM  

I never understood why they let Trupiano go the previous year. He and Castiglione have classic calls all year long.

Jere January 23, 2008 at 10:38 AM  

Did you get to hear him out in Cali? Just wondering what your personal thoughts are on his calls.

"I never understood why they let Trupiano go the previous year."

It seemed to me like it had gotten to the point where Joe was very uncomfortable with Trupe. Like Trupe was the bully and Castig was his target.

Matt January 23, 2008 at 2:03 PM  

I get the Sox broadcasts online and on XM radio out here, the games are on during my commute home so I listen to the radio for a part of almost every game before I get home and watch the broadcast. I think the Sox front office really liked Geffen and he was their guy where Trupe didn't always go along. If you look at politics, Trupe does a lot of Republican commercials where the Sox ownership supports Democrats...maybe some bad blood form that?

jlavallee30 January 24, 2008 at 11:56 PM  

I have never really looked at the politics involved, but more the call. Losing either Trupiano or Castiglione on the Sox calls is a yough adjustment, similiar to the Celtics broadcasts after Johnnie Most left.

Sawxheads

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP