Monday, February 18, 2008

Schilling Discusses Injury in Detail

Curt Schilling spoke with reporters about his injury today and tried to answer some of the questions that have been brought up in the past 2 weeks. You can read the entire interview here. Below are some of the answers he gave:

"If some people want to believe that this was me taking advantage of a situation financially, I wouldn’t have done it here. I would have done it for $14 million in at least two other places, if I was going to sit on my ass on the DL and collect a paycheck......I went out to throw in mid-December, and it felt like August again. It didn’t hurt, but it felt crappy. I said ok, I’ll give myself a couple more weeks, do some exercises, get stronger, give a little more rest. Went out early January again, felt the same. Not long after that, I had a throwing session where I couldn’t play catch. It was painful. Then when I went home, it was aching like a toothache. I knew that wasn’t a good thing, so I immediately reached out to them.....I reached out very early on to John Farrell and to Tito and told them I was concerned and I didn’t want that to mess up potential discussions between the Red Sox and Twins....I had three different doctors tell me three completely different things with three completely different courses of action....I signed a contract with this team and so I have to abide by the rules of the CBA. One of those rules is that from a medical standpoint, they get to dictate how and when things are supposed to happen.

Lots of new info here; Schilling and the Sox kept the injury quiet to protect their negotiating position in the Santana talks. Curt and the Sox did not know the extent of the injury when they signed the contract. The 2 sides had some problems over the treatment plan but Curt has to follow what the team wants, it did cause some strife but both sides are trying to get through it.

0 comments:

Sawxheads

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP