Thursday, July 9, 2009

Fenway Park: Number 1 Ranked Ballpark!

This is no new news to all of us in Red Sox Nation, but Sporting News Magazine just ranked the 30 MLB Parks and the #1 ballpark was of course, Fenway Park.

The 3 reasons the author LOVES Fenway Park:

1. The Green Monster

2. The Ted Williams Seat

3. Pesky's Pole

Here is what Jason Bay had to say about his experiences with the Monster, both as a Red Sox and a visiting player:

"There's not a lot of room out there. It's pretty self-explanatory: If it's over your head, it's off the wall or it's gone. In that aspect, it's easier. But there are some nooks and crannies, the scoreboard—I've been back there behind the scoreboard a couple times, once as a visiting player, and then I've gone back since. Most of the guys who come here for the first time go. There's thousands and thousands of signatures back there. So it was like, 'Hey, you gotta go sign the Monster.' So I went in and signed the inside of it. And when I came here, I went back and saw my name back there. It's the nostalgia. There's all these new ballparks going up, and they're great. People are like, 'Wouldn't you like to see Boston get a new ballpark?' And the answer is, 'Not really.' "

Here, here JayBay! No new ballpark for the Red Sox. No way. No how.

My own personal FOURTH reason...the FANS. There is something about the Fenway Faithful. The noise. The fact that the fans don't need a teleprompter to tell them to cheer....and they don't need to be given noise sticks or clappers. Fenway fans make noise all on their own. Josh Beckett said it himself in his last press conference how much he loves playing here. He said the support of the fans is so valuable and a welcomed change from what he experienced when he was with the Marlins.

Here are the Top 5:

1. Fenway Park - Boston Red Sox
2. PNC Park - Pittsburg Pirates
3. Wrigley Field - Chicago Cubs
4. Oriole Park at Camden Yards - Baltimore Orioles
5. AT&T Park - San Fransico Giants

Oh...and in that Top 5, I didn't notice the new Yankee Stadium. Just saying.

P.S. Did I happen to mention that I am making my first trek EVER to Fenway Park this Saturday? I didn't? Well...I SO AM. I am so excited...I am literally counting the hours until 7:10pm on Saturday night.

3 comments:

Matt July 9, 2009 at 7:36 AM  

I read that issue yesterday. They also have a feature where they ask former Red Sox players which current player they would most like as a teammate: Pedroia won and Youk was second.

I have been to nearly every park and I agree with them 100% about Fenway, you'll have a great time.

Jon July 9, 2009 at 8:58 AM  

I love Fenway and have been there countless times and I know you could never replace it but as a big guy (6'6", 250) if I don't pay for top dollar tickets I literally can not fit in the seats. It's getting a little old for me to leave in pain every game. I've been to at least a dozen other ball parks and an envious of the room there.

Danielle,  July 9, 2009 at 10:00 AM  

We go faithfully every year to Fenway- it's extremely kid friendly! There is nothing like it. I would be extremely unhappy if it was replaced. We attended the last sox game played in the "old" Yankee stadium, and I was really disapointed in the fans there- really rude and obnoxious, even to each other. At Fenway, you can see friends sporting opposing team apparel, having a great time together with good natured jibing at each other- in New York, I was wishing I had brought mace because the fans were so malicious. Nothing like the Fenway Faithful!!!

Sawxheads

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP