Saturday, April 11, 2009

Pedroia's Grand Marshal Status in Jeopardy

A few months ago Dustin Pedroia was the pride of Woodland, CA. Remember this from the Chronicle:

However, if Pedroia thinks he will skate by forever without having to ride down Main Street in the grand marshal's car, well, he better understand Mayor Davies is as tenacious as he is.

"Whenever Dustin shows up," the mayor said, "we're going to make a parade when he gets here."

I think the mayor may have changed his mind after Pedroia called Woodland a dump in an interview last week. The love for Pedroia seems to have dried up quickly according to the town's newspaper.



UPDATE: Dustin Pedroia called the Sac Bee to explain his side of the story:

"I'm totally crushed by this, devastated, because I didn't mean it that way at all," Pedroia said. "The (Boston Magazine) writer doesn't know my personality. I kid around a lot, and that's what I was doing when I was talking about Woodland.

"That town raised me. I grew up there. I rode my bike there. I played high school ball there. Loved all of it. My family and best friends are still there. I love going home. This article made me seem like a jerk, and I'm not."

"We will no longer have that feeling of pride when our 'hometown boy' hits a home run and runs the bases," Earl and Gail Balch of Woodland wrote to The Daily Democrat about Pedroia."Boston can have him," they wrote. "We don't want him anymore."

0 comments:

Sawxheads

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP