Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Did Navarro Purposely Blow the 8th Inning?

Maybe it’s the innocent little kid in me, but that thought *never* occurred to me last night watching the game. This is a comment made in response to Chad Finn’s “Touching All the Bases” on boston.com yesterday:

"I'm kind of shocked that I haven't seen any coverage on Navarro's role in the 8th inning last night. (Feel free to point me in the right direction if you've seen any articles on this) I can't be the only one thinks he tanked that throw to second on Tejada's steal on purpose. That guy is too good a player to blow the throw that bad. Worse yet, he throws a perfect strike to second in the ninth with Rivera on the mound. And just to make matters worse, the guy made no effort to slap a tag on Tejada on the sac fly. I doubt he could have gotten Tejada, but he could have made it close by at least trying to make a play. Even my Yankee fan buddy called me right away to say he thought Navarro tanked that eighth on purpose!Any Sox fan who doesn't think that Navarro didn't catch that eighth inning last night with a chip on his shoulder after the Sox/Rays scuffle and Papelbon's comments are lying to themselves. To me, that was the story of the night that I'm not seeing anyone talk about."

At the time last night, I thought, ‘high pressure situation, young catcher, 1st ASG, yadda…’, but after reading this today, I began to wonder. Maybe the yankee fans booing Pap *while he was pitching* put the idea in Navarro’s head. I don’t know. Yankee fans (the only reason I capitalized it this time is because it’s the first word of the sentence) continue to lower themselves while being led into the fandom hall of shame, or maybe they’re leading the local mullet wrapper down that road.

Whatever it is, Navarro stepped in it and now the whole world is wondering did he purposely put up a brick to get back at the Sox for the events of last month? If he did, whatever he stepped in will need to be wiped off his cleats by the whole team of the (yankee wannabe) Tampa Bay Rays.

Poetic justice~ Drew wins the MVP in the last ASG to be played at the venerable Yankee Stadium. If goddess forbid, the yanks or the rays make it to the World Series, and win it, then it would be proven that ‘karma’ does not exist. But if either of those two teams realistically think that they have any chance of making it to the Series, then they had better take a hard look at Navarro’s selfish little ego trip last night, and the potential loss of home advantage that might have ensued. Fortunately for the AL, Pap was on the mound and negated the shoddy playing of the rays catcher.

3 comments:

Matt July 16, 2008 at 8:40 PM  

I would doubt Navarro would do something like that but next to Coco, Paps is the guy the Rays probably hate the most for saying "its not over."

Anonymous,  July 16, 2008 at 9:35 PM  

On the one hand, you have to think that the Rays want home advantage more than anybody if they were actually to get to the world series. Also, some people speculated that Navarro was actually trying to protect Coco from his own players somewhat when he was on top of him (decide for yourself if that has any merit, I'm not sure.)

All that said, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Navarro misfired on purpose. The Rays are a bunch of dickwads with little brother syndrome. I'm going to enjoy watching them go down in flames in the second half.

Anja July 17, 2008 at 12:06 AM  

Navarro the one that got thrown out at home in the bottom the the...11th I think? The commentators mentioned that he wasn't speedy on the bases when he didn't go to 3rd on Drew's single. But damn if it didn't seem like he was on a Sunday jog through the park on his way home. I just didn't see any effort on his part.

Sawxheads

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP