Thursday, January 22, 2009

Hartford Courant Cuts Loose Jeff Goldberg

In a sad day for the print media, the Hartford Courant has let Red Sox beat reporter Jeff Goldberg go.

"I just don't have a beat writer to cover it anymore," he said, noting last year's Sox scribe, Jeff Goldberg, took a buyout. "For the first time, we will not cover them home and away."

Goldberg's departure was part of a significant cut last September that reduced the paper's staffing by 25%. For sports, it marked the final cut in a beat coverage approach that had provided staff writers for the Red Sox, New England Patriots, New York Yankees and New York Giants in past years.


Goldberg was one of the best beat reporters covering the Sox last year so I would bet he ends up with another gig, most likely WEEI.com.

2 comments:

Anonymous,  January 24, 2009 at 6:21 AM  

Thanks for pointing this out. It's a sad state the newspapers are in. I mean sad for the readers; the newspapers got themselves into this situation by not evolving (I used to work for a daily paper here in CT and saw it coming first hand.)

Coincidentally, I canceled my subscription to the Hartford Courant back in September. The next time they call to invite me back I'll tell them this is the reason. :)

Matt January 24, 2009 at 6:34 PM  

How can they not send a reporter to cover the Sox? If MLB doesn't start giving some access to bloggers the baseball news from the park is going to be slim pickins...but that's probably what Bud wants.

Sawxheads

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP