Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Coco Injures Thumb on "Shady Play" Gets Revenge on the Wrong Guy

Coco Crisp injured his thumb when he slid into second headfirst in the 6th and shortstop Jason Bartlett put his knee down to block the bag. Crisp said the following about the play, “That’s a shady play there. That’s how someone can get hurt. He’s not a bad dude, but that’s not something you do as an infielder. You can break someone’s thumb that way. I told him that when I got up.” Coco tried to get revenge in the 8th when he reached base with a walk. Here's Coco's take on what happened, “I went in hard to send a message. If I wanted to hurt someone, I wouldn’t have even slid, I would have jump-kicked his (butt). I was going in there to send a message. I did what I said I was going to do, unfortunately it was to the wrong person. I don’t know why they didn’t have Bartlett covering the bag. If it was me, I would have been there to take my own licking.”



This does not seem to be over so I would be expecting a bean ball tomorrow. The Sox and Rays have had their share of fisticuffs in the past and we may see more soon. Don't forget about the time change for tomorrow's game from 7:05 to 6:05 Eastern so you can watch the C's-Lakers.

6 comments:

Anonymous,  June 4, 2008 at 10:32 PM  

Who are the C's and the Lakers? Expansion teams?

Anonymous,  June 4, 2008 at 10:46 PM  

Crisp's trade value just dropped off the chart. I think Sutcliffe is wrong when he said Crisp was trying to break Iwamura's ankle, but it was still a late, way late slide. I'd like to see video of that 6th inning slide he's talking about.

Anonymous,  June 4, 2008 at 10:55 PM  

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200806052843999

Video of the 6th inning steal.

Matt June 5, 2008 at 5:58 AM  

I posted the video of the slide too...he did have his knee down but Coco's second slide was bush league especially since he hit the wrong guy.

Rooster June 5, 2008 at 8:34 AM  

Coco got a bit hot headed about it for sure. Now, if Lou Piniella was still with the Rays, all hell would break loose tonight. If Crisp is out nursing the thumb, and the do want to plunk someone, I bet they after Ellsbury - the other base stealer.

Hopefully Maddon proves he has more class that that though.

With Pena out tonight, I'm looking for a sweep!

Anonymous,  June 5, 2008 at 11:17 AM  

They had better not go after anyone else but Crisp. They would be dragging themselves down to Crisp's level if they plunked anyone else. If Crisp is out tonight because of his thumb, Maddon has plenty of games left with the Sox to exact any revenge he may think he's due. According to Crisp, right now, they're even.
Not that I think any of this BS belongs in the game.

Sawxheads

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP