Monday, June 22, 2009

Sox and charities: The May edition

I'm late in reporting this, but late is better than never, eh?

I posted last month that I committed to donating $10 for every Sox win this season to charity. The Sox won 14 games in April and therefore $140 was donated to the Malaria No More foundation.

Yes, I know June is almost over...but I never reported about the donations for the May Sox wins. Since Memorial Day was in the month of May, I wanted to make the donation that in some way honored the troops. There are so many organizations out there that do wonderful things for the men and women in service...but I was able to narrow it down to one.

I was watching ABC and Bob Woodruff was reporting about the conditions of many of the troops who come home from war. If people don't remember Bob Woodruff, he is an ABC correspondent who suffered a serious brain injury while reporting on the Iraq war. Woodruff quickly learned that he was not alone when it came to recovering from war injuries and made it his continued drive to bring this issue to light. I have nothing but respect and admiration for Bob Woodruff, his strength and how he chose to use his experiences to help other people. A lot of people know about the struggles of soldiers who come back from war with physical injuries, but Woodruff has made a dedicated effort to inform the public about those soldiers who have suffered those "hidden injuries" such as traumatic brain injuries and psychological issues.

So, I decided to make my May donation to the Bob Woodruff Foundation. Here is just a snippet about the foundation:

The mission of the Bob Woodruff Foundation is to provide resources and support to injured service members, veterans and their families -- building a movement to empower communities nationwide to take action to successfully reintegrate our nation’s injured heroes—especially those who have sustained the Hidden Injuries of War—back into their communities so they may thrive physically, psychologically, socially and economically.

2.2 million Americans have volunteered to serve our nation in uniform.

More than 35,000 service members have been physically wounded.

It is estimated that more than 320,000 have sustained traumatic brain injuries.

More than 300,000 have psychological wounds.


The Sox won 15 games in May, so that means that $150 was donated to the Bob Woodruff Foundation. If you feel inclined, please feel free to donate to the cause. I know that any amount can truly help the cause of helping soldiers who have come back from war with issues and injuries...and in many ways have been forgotten by our communities.

It's almost the end of June and as of right now, the Sox have won 13 games in June and have 8 games left. I am hoping that the June donation will be the biggest donation yet. I'll be rooting for the Sox for each and every win...not only for the Sox, but for charity. Who can root against charity?

2 comments:

Matt June 22, 2009 at 5:15 PM  

Great job on the charity donation, I have added a picture link on the right side of the page to learn more about the Bob Woodruff foundation, I will update it when you pick your charity for June.

Shelley June 23, 2009 at 1:02 PM  

Thanks for the link on the site Matt. I appreciate it. And if anyone uses Twitter...and who doesn't, Bob Woodruff has a Twitter campaign as well to raise awareness and money for his foundation. It's called #tweettoremind You can donate at tweettoremind.org He is only asking people to donate $5.25 in hopes of raising 1.65 MILLION dollars by July 4th.

None of us have 1.65 million, but we all have $5.25 to spare, don't we?

And...I am narrowing down the June choice for my charity, if anyone has any charities they love and want me to consider, leave me a post or send me an email.

Sawxheads

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP