Friday, June 19, 2009

Papelbon Talks About His Future

Jonathan Papelbon appeared on XM/Sirius Home Plate program “The Show" today and was asked about playing for another team:

Host, Jody McDonald:
“If you couldn’t work out a contract with the Red Sox before free agency comes up and you eventually become a free agent, is the Bronx ever a possibility?”

Jonathan Papelbon: “Oh, of course. I mean, I think if we can’t come to an agreement on terms here in a Red Sox uniform, I mean, I think that’s pretty much the writing on the wall. If they can’t come to terms with you they’re letting you know that, ‘Hey you know what? We can go somewhere else.’ And I think it’s the same way on the other side, ‘Hey if ya’ll can’t come to an agreement with me then I can go somewhere else.’ Not only in the Bronx, but anywhere. I think anywhere is a possibility. You always have to keep that in the back of your mind because you can’t just be one-sided and think that, ‘Oh I’m going to be in a Red Sox uniform my entire career.’ Because nowadays that is very, very rare and hopefully we can because there’s no question I would love to stay in a Boston Red Sox uniform but I have to do what’s best for me and play in an atmosphere where I’m wanted and play on a team where I’m wanted and that’s all I can really say about that, you know?”



His answer is honest and should come as no surprise. Throughout Papelbon's time in Boston there have been several instances where he has complained about his contract. He is going to go for the big payday when he becomes a free agent and if that is with the Red Sox then he will stay, if it is anywhere else he will go. So for now just enjoy the ride with Paps and hope things work out in the long run.

0 comments:

Sawxheads

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP