Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Tim Wakefield. Can we talk?

Tim Wakefield

So, some people like to talk some smack. Some people particularly like to talk some smack about one Mr. Tim Wakefield, the crazy knuckleballer for the Boston Red Sox. They like to say some stuff about about how he is too old to pitch. That his best days are clearly behind him. How his knuckleball is horribly inconsistent...either really good or really bad. They also like to say things about how he is cheap at 4 million/year, but at this point that is 4 million too much. And that with the plethora of starting pitching prospects we have down in the minors, Wakefield is taking up prescious space for someone who can actually get wins.

Yeah, so those people....most of last off season.....completely me. No one talked more smack about Tim Wakefield than I did. I mentioned how I hated to see him on the mound because it probably meant a loss for the team. I mentioned that he was old and like Timlin should be respectfully put out of his misery. I mentioned that with people like Clay Buchholz and Michael Bowden down in AAA, it made no sense to resign Wake no matter how cheap he is.

I would like to make it official. Tim Wakefield, I am an idiot. I was about as wrong as any one person can be wrong. You have been the defacto ace this season. You've been more consistent than any other pitcher on the mound. You've been eating innings like a kid eats candy...and brought us victories when the tides seemed to be turning against us. You came out in Oakland...nearly pitched a no-no and then finished it off with a complete game. You gave us hope again Wake. Then, you came back out like gang busters against the Twins...another impressive victory. Then Cleveland. You didn't get the win, but the team did. You made that possible. Then Tampa Bay. The only Sox pitcher who could get a win in that series. Then Cleveland again and this time you did get the win. Alright, then you showed us that you might in fact be human against the Angels. You got hit hard and often. Did that mean the old Tim Wakefield was back? The one I liked talking smack about so often?

Nope. Doesn't seem like it. Tim Wakefield came out last night against the red hot Toronto Blue Jays and his knuckleball was nothing other than brilliant. The Sox won a close game 2-1. We didn't score a lot of runs, but that didn't matter to Tim Wakefield. He didn't need it. He pitched through 8 innings. Hear that Josh Beckett and Jon Lester...EIGHT innings. In the 8th because of 2 errors, Wake had 2 guys on and only one out. Uh oh. My mind started to wonder if I might see that Wake I don't like. Nope. Wake used that crazy magical knuckleball and got two sweet pop ups. Inning over. Errors on the books, but no damage done.

Now I do have a word of warning for Tim Wakefield. You NEED to keep on pitching like a monster because any signs that you are in fact human...you know, like that Angels start. My brain immediately starts thinking about talking smack again. So, continue the dominance that is Tim Wakefield of 2009. It's a beautiful thing to watch.

And Brad Penny. Consider yourself on notice. I've always got to be talking smack about someone and my attention has quickly focused onto YOU!

6 comments:

dave,  May 20, 2009 at 5:15 PM  

I've been singing nothing but praise for Wake ever since I've been on board with Fenway West. He was smokin' hot last year in May, too, so much so that I called for him to be in the ASG, he was that hot!

He should have more wins than he does, as Sox bats have this occasional strange habit of becoming quiet on the days he pitches. His ERA has been no higher than 4.87 in the past 8 years (not including this year), he has given the Sox no less than 140 innings in each of his 14 years w/the Sox, and has logged over 200 innings 5x.

He's been a starter the past few years, but he can also work out of the pen, he logged 15 saves in 1999. He is the most unselfish player on the team. He once offered to pitch in relief in a post season game had it become necessary, thereby putting his start the next day in jeapordy.

He could easily be earning more, but the Sox can look at other talent with the money they save on him, knowing that he's a class act who will turn in workhorse like numbers year after year.

Let's not forget that knuckleballers put a lot less strain on their arms than fastball pitchers, and can usually last well into their mid and late 40's. Since Wake is only 42 and obviously still has his stuff, he should be around for a couple more years.

And in a month from now, when he's notched a few more quality starts such as the ones he has of late, I'll be calling again for him to be on the All Star Team.

Matt May 20, 2009 at 8:30 PM  

After tonight's start you may need to start writing a post about Brad Penny. Although I would not put any money on Penny having a good season with the Sox.

dave,  May 20, 2009 at 10:09 PM  

When Penny hits 14 years with the Sox....

dave,  May 20, 2009 at 10:10 PM  

And not only can Wake toss a mean knuckleball....

Shelley May 21, 2009 at 3:15 AM  

Tim Wakefield deserves my apology. I don't like admitting I am a complete and total idiot, but well...Wake needed to hear it.

Brad Penny. Nope, not yet. He got through with once again some CRAZY run support, but I still want him to be better. I want him to not constantly get behind in the count. I want him to be able to cleanly get through 7 innings. SEVEN. Is that too much to ask for Brad? I want him to admit when he sucks (which he didn't tonight) instead of proclaiming how great he is throwing the ball. I want him to stop touching his hair so much. I want the image that he dated Alyssa Milano out of my head.

So...no...as of today, Brad Penny is owed no apology by Shelley. Right now, I still see him just stomping around on a mound that I believe belongs to one Mr. Clay Buchholz.

Matt May 21, 2009 at 8:55 AM  

If Clay does well I will be the one writing the apology because I did not write very nice things about him last season.

Sawxheads

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP