Saturday, May 23, 2009

Supporting My Sox and My Favorite Charities

Remember back in April when the Sox started off with 2-6 record and it didn't seem like we could do anything to win a game? It does seem like forever ago since we then went on a tear and won a dozen games straight. Well, at that point...I decided to try to give our wins an extra bump of karma. It couldn't hurt, eh?

You see, for me baseball and my obsession with it if often a selfish endeavor. I sometimes prioritize baseball over those actual people in my life. I prioritize baseball over sleep. I am sure there are times baseball has made me not the best employee I could be.

So, I wanted to make my appreciation of all things Red Sox a little less selfish while adding some karma to a team that was struggling out of the gate. I decided I was going to donate $10.00 to charity for every Red Sox win. Originally, I thought I might pick one charity for the whole year, but I am going to mix it up. Each month a new charity gets my love and dollars.

For the month of April, the charity I donated to was MalariaNoMore.Org In April, the Sox won 14 games so I donated $140.00 to their charity. With every $10 donated, they can provide one malaria net to a much needed area in Africa. Here is just a snippet from their site about what they do and why it is important:

Every 30 seconds a child in Africa dies from malaria. We know how to stop this tragedy, but we need your help.

A $10 mosquito net can protect a child and its family as they sleep, the time when most malaria-spreading bites occur.

The tragedy of malaria can be transformed into our generation's greatest triumph—the ending of malaria deaths—with a simple act of compassion.

Make your mark on the fight against malaria with a gift that supports Malaria No More's live-saving programs, including such as our efforts to distribute mosquito nets where they are most needed.


Check out their site and if you have any extra you can spare, please donate.

May is coming to a close. So far, we have 11 wins...so let's smash these Mets and Twins and Jays and make more $$$ for charity. I haven't narrowed down the charity just yet, but no matter what...it'll be for a good cause.

3 comments:

Matt May 23, 2009 at 4:43 PM  

See, now Lugo is keeping $ away from kids with Malaria.

Great job Shelley, and a good cause.

Allison May 23, 2009 at 9:11 PM  

I love this idea!! what a great charity! A suggestion for May , in honor of memorial day maybe donate to the wounded warrior project! https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/content/view/627/924/

Can't wait to hear what you decide!

Red Sox Sonoma,  May 30, 2009 at 4:48 PM  

The non-profit Red Sox Sonoma could use a little assistance, too...

Sawxheads

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP