Saturday, August 8, 2009

Ortiz Denies Using Steroids in Press Conference

Ortiz said he was careless in buying legal supplements but denied using steroids in his press conference today. He says he was never told that he tested positive for steroids.

I don't understand why he did not issue an absolute denial from the start. There was no reason he had to wait over a week to make these statements; the only reason for the delay was to allow Ortiz and the MLBPA get their stories together. I understand the problems with the testing system, but Ortiz has made a poor choice in how he approached his response.

Ortiz couldn't name any of the supplements or vitamins he used and was careless in what he took, so how can he deny that any of the supplements he took did not contain steroids? No answers here just more questions and doubt that will follow Ortiz for the rest of his career. More damage done to the game today. Maybe the Ortiz jersey buried at Yankee Stadium foreshadowed the demise of Big Papi that we witnessed today in the Bronx.

4 comments:

Faiaz,  August 8, 2009 at 10:53 AM  

He's a big fat liar... literally.

Shelley August 8, 2009 at 12:43 PM  

I am choosing to believe Ortiz. He has never given us reason not to. So, I am standing with him.

And...I find it interesting that the MLBPA is standing with him. They didn't do that with ARod or Bonds or Sosa or even Manny. I think that says a lot.

Papi is fighting and so far...a lot of people are standing with him and fighting too. To me, that is very telling.

GO PAPI!!!!

Matt August 8, 2009 at 3:03 PM  

I do think Papi has been clean since testing began I just think there is a good chance he did some kind of PEDs before that. He has been saying for years that he took things that "may" have been steroids without really knowing it. If he stuck with that story from the start I would believe him more.

I have an Ortiz jersey that I will still wear, I will still cheer for him and I still appreciate what he has done for the Sox.

dave,  August 8, 2009 at 9:22 PM  

Papi syas he was 'careless.' I know all about being careless in your late 20's.

Sawxheads

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP