Monday, August 3, 2009

Why Ortiz Must Come Clean Now

In today's New York Daily News there is a story about how 8 of the 104 players on the 2003 steroid list tested positive due to a legal supplement:

The supplement 19-norandrostenedione was legal in 2003 and contained the steroid nandrolone, a hard-core performance-enhancing drug used to build muscle.

Major League Baseball maintains that 96 players tested positive for PEDs during the 2003 survey testing year because it does not count any supplement that a player could purchase legally that contained steroids.

So does Big Papi have an out? I guess you could say he does but here is my problem with the story: in Ortiz's statement he said, "I will find out what I tested positive for. And, three, based on whatever I learn, I will share this information with my club and the public." If Ortiz was taking the legal supplement he could have come right out and said that he was and that is why he tested positive. By waiting to "find out" it seems like he was using steroids and looking for a possible out. If we have learned anything from users who get caught, it is that you need to own up to what you did and fans will welcome you back. If a player tries to stay in denial when all the evidence is against them it will only cause them to lose in the long run. Look at the deniers and what they have become. (Bonds, McGuire, Sosa, Clemens.) Then look at guys like Pettitte who addmitted use and have been able to keep their popular support. Every day that passes with Ortiz keeping quiet he loses respect from Red Sox Nation. Ortiz either did steroids or he didn't, right now he is claiming to be "a little bit pregnant."


7 comments:

Darryl Johnston August 3, 2009 at 11:29 AM  

The one issue I have with this list is it not exclusive to PEDs and steroids. Drug abuse of any kind will trigger the failure. That is not to say he didn't use juice.

Darryl
www.soxteaparty.com

Shelley August 3, 2009 at 2:39 PM  

I am waiting to truly pass judgment on Ortiz and him being on the list...until we know more information. What he tested positive for...and in what context.

However, I will say that I am disappointed. If Ortiz knew what he took and knew it was a banned substance, he is no different than the others...except that I adored and admired him.

If he knew he was using a banned substance and thought...hey, I can get away with it, I no longer have any use for him. Like the others, he'll just be a cheater. ARod, cheater. Giambi, cheater. Manny, cheater. Sosa, cheater. Pettitte, cheater. Bonds, cheater. McGwire, cheater. And the list goes on and on. I hate the idea of David being on that list...but am preparing myself for that possibility.

My heart wants to think of David Ortiz as a Red Sox hero...and not just another cheater who thought he was above the rules. My mind knows the latter is probably the truth.

dave,  August 3, 2009 at 3:17 PM  

Shelley,

Those are words truly spoken by someone whose livelihood has never depended on one's ability to play baseball. Ever used them? You're dismissed. The world is grey, Shelley.

Shelley August 3, 2009 at 4:30 PM  

Dave,

That may be true, but it doesn't make being a cheater ok. It doesn't make bending the rules ok.

I think we've all been faced with situations like that...and either you do the right thing or you do the easy thing. If Papi used...he chose the easy thing. He decided to break the rules and cut corners...because he thought he wouldn't get caught and it would lengthen his career. Still makes him a cheater...like a long list sitting right beside him. It makes him the same as ARod, as much as that pains me to say.

I am still waiting to hear more about it and the story, but if it turns out much like the stories before him, Papi and I...we're done. I am no longer a fan. I don't cheer for people who believe that the rules do not apply to them.

Heretic,  August 3, 2009 at 4:37 PM  

I think the biggest lesson to take out of this is simply not to put baseball players, or any sports players for that matter, on a pedestal. They are not, and should not be treated as role models. They are human, they make stupid decisions like all of us do at times, and although the game is great, the truth is that they are paid entirely too much money to play that game.

As long as there is money and fame to be won, some will abandon their integrity and cheat in the pursuit of that money and fame. Doesn't matter if it's the olympics, poker or baseball.

That is not an excuse for bad behavior. Indeed, my opinion of Ortiz has dropped considerably. It is, however, a sad truth about human nature.

Schruender August 3, 2009 at 7:52 PM  

Couldn't agree more with you on how bad it looks that he's not coming out now. He has to know something. You don't forget if you didn't take steroids.

I think nobody has handled this whole issue better than Andy Pettite. Sure he'll always have his name on the Mitchell Report, but how often has his name been brought up since he faced the media right away? Gotta give it to the Yankees with the PR.

dave- Red Sox Sonoma,  August 3, 2009 at 8:11 PM  

The comment made by dave up above is not dave- aka Red sox Sonoma, just so ya know.

Sawxheads

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP